Use the hashtags:
#StopPoliceCrimes #CPACNow #FreeThemAll #CommunityControlNow and #DayOfProtest
Share this toolkit: http://bit.ly/DayOfProtestSept19
The National Alliance Against Racist & Political Repression (NAARPR) is calling for a national day of protest on September 19th, 2020. We call on people from every city to join us in raising the demands for community control of police and an end to state repression, among others. You can participate on social media by sharing this document, posting the sample posts on your personal or organizational social media accounts, contacting elected representatives with demands, and taking other actions called for in this document.
Why are we protesting?
This day of protest is in response to rampant police terror, racist vigilante violence, and denial of justice for those murdered or harmed by the police such as Breonna Taylor, Jacob Blake, Trayford Pellerin, and Miguel Vega. Those in power, in and out of the Trump administration, have refused to meet the demands of the people for justice and systemic change. Instead, they have inflicted violence on protesters all over the country.
It is crucial now to take mass, united action against state repression and all oppressive institutions. With over 196,000 deaths from covid-19 and millions suffering from economic devastation, federal and local government has shown more interest in bailing out corporations and stopping protests than protecting the lives of the people, particularly Black and Brown people. We must raise our demands more loudly and bring even more numbers into the streets until we get justice and an end to the racist policies that have made the coronavirus so devastating to working and oppressed people.
Read the call here: https://naarpr.org/updates/september-19-day-protest/
What are we demanding?
- We demand that the cops who shot or murdered Breonna Taylor, Daniel Prude, Jacob Blake, Miguel Vega, and Trayford Pellerin be immediately arrested, charged and convicted.
- We demand the immediate withdrawal of federal agents and National Guard troops sent to our cities to brutalize protestors and terrorize our communities.
- We demand real police accountability through all-elected Civilian Police Accountability Councils (CPAC) establishing community control of the police, shifting police funding to essential public services like education, housing, and healthcare and regulating police to address the real demands for safety of the people.
Sample posts for social media
Feel free to copy and paste these to your organizational or personal social media, or use them as inspiration to write your own posts.
Twitter: Post as many of these sample tweets as you would like
White supremacy kills Black people in the streets, in their homes, at work, and in prisons. Lynchings by police and racist vigilantes must stop. Death by infection due to incarceration must stop. On this #DayOfProtest we are fighting to stop them.
The police repression of protests all over the country is meant to scare us out of the streets, but we will not be intimidated. We will keep shutting the streets down until we get justice and liberation.
In spite of the $12million settlement, the police who killed Breonna Taylor have still not been arrested. On this #DayOfProtest we demand that those officers, and all killer cops, be arrested, charged, and convicted.
Police have targeted activists such as Lana Akindes, the #Tally19, and countless organizers across the country. We demand an end to this police repression and that all charges against protesters be dropped.
The rampant police violence inflicted on those who protest against police violence has proven the need for the empowerment of communities and the disempowerment of police. We demand #CommunityControlNow so the people can put an end to police crimes.
Those in power have responded to the pandemic and economic crisis by bailing out corporations and repressing protests instead of providing for the people. On this #DayOfProtest we demand that funds be used to protect our communities, not to repress them.
Federal agents and national guard troops have kidnapped and terrorized protesters from Portland to Kenosha and all over the country. We demand the immediate withdrawal of these troops who have done nothing but brutalize our communities.
This #DayOfProtest is for Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, George Floyd, Daniel Prude, Trayford Pellerin, Miguel Vega, and everyone whose life was stolen by killer cops. We demand justice for the families and community control of the police.
This #DayOfProtest is for Gerald Reed, Clayborn Smith, Tamon Russell, and countless others who were kidnapped by police and tortured over many years of incarceration. We demand freedom for all torture survivors and the wrongfully convicted.
This #DayOfProtest is for the families and communities traumatized by police violence and mass incarceration. We demand community control of the police so we can end the regime of terror in Black and Brown communities.
This #DayOfProtest is for Black & Brown communities that are overpoliced & underprotected. Police murders continue while covid-19 disproportionately kills oppressed people. We demand #CommunityControlNow & funds for health, housing, and education, not police.
Facebook & Instagram:
September 19th, 2020 is a national day of protest against racist and political repression. People all over the country are raising their voices to demand community control of the police and the transfer of funds from policing to community needs.
- that the cops who shot or murdered Breonna Taylor, Daniel Prude, Jacob Blake, Miguel Vega, and Trayford Pellerin be immediately arrested, charged and convicted.
- the immediate withdrawal of federal agents and National Guard troops sent to our cities to brutalize protestors and terrorize our communities.
- real police accountability through all-elected Civilian Police Accountability Councils (CPAC) establishing community control of the police, shifting police funding to essential public services like education, housing, and healthcare and regulating police to address the real demands for safety of the people.
Calls to action
- Sign the CPAC petition: https://www.caarpr.org/cpac_petition
- Find your alderperson here and contact them to demand that they support CPAC, real police accountability through an all elected council of civilians with power over CPD budget, policy, and misconduct investigations, and not another toothless police reform.
- Sign the CFIST (Campaign to Free Incarcerated Survivors of Torture) petition here: https://www.caarpr.org/cfistpetition
- Contact Governor Pritzker (phone: 312-814-2122 or 312-814-2121 or 217-782-6831, or send an email) to demand immediate pardons for Gerald Reed and all incarcerated survivors of police torture and wrongful conviction.
- Sign the CPAC petition
- Call your state representative and demand that they fight to Abolish LEOBOR
- Join the fight for People's Budget Now!
- Sign this letter: STOP the ARRESTS and Drop ALL Charges Against BLM #Tally19 Protesters
- Use the Dallas At-Home Action Toolkit at: https://kutt.it/09-19-dallas
Follow NAARPR on social media
@NAARPR on twitter
Find updates on the NAARPR website
- Community control of the police: https://naarpr.org/updates/campaign-for-community-control-of-police/
- The fight to free incarcerated survivors of police torture and wrongful conviction in Chicago: https://www.caarpr.org/cfist
- Donate to NAARPR at https://naarpr.org/